CHRIS URNESS, CFP®, CHFC®, AAMS®
“I began my financial practice in 2002 with a clear understanding that Trust is everything, and that Trust must be earned! My mission is clear: to provide honest, ethical, and transparent financial planning advice, based on a foundation of mutual trust. This is best accomplished through frequent communication where meaningful, raw conversations about financial goals, investments, aspirations, concerns, and fears are encouraged.
I am a U.S. Navy veteran, having served as a nuclear power Submarine Officer. My years of leadership experience, solving complex problems in difficult environments, and disciplined attention to detail all directly correlate to my role as a Financial Advisor. These same skill sets greatly benefit my clients today.
My wife & I have 4 wonderful children, and we enjoy spending our time together outdoors, hiking, and traveling all around the world.”
INVESTMENT PLANNING: developing appropriate risk-based portfolios in a complex global environment. Investment strategies must be constantly monitored and adjusted as dynamic situations evolve.
TAX ANALYSIS: analyzing and understanding the tax consequences of various investment products, strategies, and distributions.
ESTATE/LEGACY PLANNING: discussing appropriate strategies to plan for, help protect, and preserve your estate.
RISK MANAGEMENT/INSURANCE PLANNING: analyzing the appropriate amount and type of insurance protection throughout the journey.
Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering
- NAVAL OFFICER NUCLEAR POWER PROGRAM – 1994-1995
- Navy Nuclear Power School – Orlando, Florida
- Navy Nuclear Prototype Training Unit, MTS 626 Daniel Webster – Charleston, South Carolina
OLD DOMINION UNIVERSITY, Norfolk, Virginia – 2000-2001
- Master of Science in Engineering Management High-Distinction Honors
- FOCALPOINT WEALTH MANAGEMENT – Present
- Founder & CEO / Wealth Advisor
- WADDELL & REED, INC. – 2007-2016 Wealth Advisor
- FIRST COMMAND FINANCIAL PLANNING – 2002-2007 Wealth Advisor
- UNITED STATES NAVY – 1994-2002 Submarine Officer
- Naval Officer Nuclear Power Program
- Member of Financial Planning Association (FPA)
- Vice Chairman of the Board – Deer Valley Credit Union
- Past Phoenix Leadership Council Member – National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB)
- Past little league coach
- CFP® – CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- ChFC® – Chartered Financial Consultant™
- AAMS® – Accredited Asset Management Specialist™
- Holds FINRA Series 7, 63, 65, & 24 registrations through LPL Financial.
- Licensed to work in AZ, CA, CO, FL, ID, MS, MT, OH, OR, TX, UT, VA, WA, WI, WY